You always see baristas putting in work and creating those whimsical coffee designs and perfect cups of joe. Well….2010 World Barista Champion, Michael Phillips, gives us the low-down on how to construct the perfect cup of cappuccino. Follow his steps outlined below and you will be well on your way toward your own championship!
- Ensure cup is nice and hot; prepare with hot water
- Prepare portafilter; clean and dry; use digital scales to measure weight
- Grind coffee; dose timed out version of coffee to guarantee precision
- Levelling; shift coffee grounds around top of basket to get even surface
- Compress bed of coffee with tamper
- Lock portafilter in to begin pulling shot
- Empty hot water from cup
- Consider coffee dose, yield and time of shot
- Flush water through the group head and lock in portafilter nice and tight
- Steam milk at surface to add desired amount of texture; lift picture to bring temperature up
- Wipe off and purge steam wand
- Tap milk (polishing) and give swirl for nice white gold cadillac milk shine
Follow 2010 World Barista Champion, Michael Phillips, on Instagram here.